Research and development, sectoral training and advisory system play an important role in the implementation of Estonia’s agricultural policy and increasing the competitiveness of enterprises related to agriculture, food industry, rural life and forestry.
In many ways, the Ministry of Rural Affairs helps to organise agricultural research and development and implement the results in business. For example, the Ministry finances scientific analyses to plan political decisions, ensures the knowledge-based functioning of the authorities of the area of government, helps to raise the level of knowledge and professional training and provide consultations and research-based applications necessary for successful management. Additionally, the Ministry supports the use of alternative service of farmers.
The Ministry also administrates three national agricultural museums, which are engaged in the research of Estonian agricultural history, the preservation of rural culture heritage and the introduction of the heritage left by renowned historical figures.
The section contains information on the organisation of the agricultural research and development activities, an overview of the agricultural and rural advisory system, the activities in the field of education and training, and the introduction of national agricultural museums.
The Ministry of Rural Affairs prepares the national programmes of the agricultural applied sciences and organises their implementation as well as impact assessment.
Current strategies and programmes
- Agricultural Applied Research and Development from 2009–2014
- Development Plan for Agricultural Sciences from 2007–2013
- Collection and Conservation of Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture in 2014–2020
- National Programme for Plant Breeding from 2009–2019
Full texts available in English
The activities of the Ministry and its area of government in topics related to research and development, training, counselling and agricultural museums are coordinated by the Research and Development Department.
Authorities and agencies
- From the authorities of the Ministry’s area of government, the Estonian Crop Research Institute is engaged in agricultural research. Additionally, the Estonian University of Life Sciences, Tallinn University of Technology, and the University of Tartu are engaged in agricultural research in Estonia.
- Rural Development Foundation (RDF) supports the economic development of Estonian rural areas, entrepreneurship and is engaged in designing rural image with guarantees and loans to encourage entrepreneurship. Additionally, the RDF organises the development of advisory service and the provision of education allowances to rural economy specialties.
- Sector subsidies are provided by the Agricultural Registers and Information Board (ARIB), which is subject to the Ministry’s area of government.
- The Estonian Agricultural Museum, the Estonian Dairy Museum and the Farm Museum of Carl Robert Jakobson contribute to the preservation, introduction and forwarding of agricultural and rural historical and cultural heritage.