Urmas Kruuse has been the Minister of Rural Affairs of the Republic of Estonia since 26 January 2021. He is a member of the Estonian Reform Party.
- In 2015–2021, he was a member of the 13th and 14th Riigikogu (parliament of Estonia).
- In 2015–2016, Urmas Kruuse was the Minister of Rural Affairs of the Republic of Estonia.
- In 2014–2015, Urmas Kruuse was the Minister of Health and Labour of the Republic of Estonia.
- In 2007–2014, Urmas Kruuse was the Mayor of Tartu.
- In 2002–2007, Kruuse worked as the Mayor of Elva.
- From 1999–2002, Kruuse was the sales manager of Kesko Food AS.
- In 1997–1999, Urmas Kruuse worked as the sales manager at Siberry Rebase Hulgiladu. Earlier, he had worked as the head of the same warehouse. Kruuse has been also active as a freelance musician and has worked as the warehouse operator of Tallinna Tööstuskaubastu.
- Born on July 14, 1965 in Elva, Kruuse has graduated from Elva Secondary School and obtained the speciality of business management at International University Audentes.
Minister of Rural Affairs
The minister shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the proposal from the Prime Minister.
Minister of Rural Affairs works for the sustainable development of Estonia’s rural affairs as well as agriculture and fishery.
Minister of Rural Affairs leads the Ministry of rural Affairs and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Rural Affairs to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
Minister of Rural Affairs appoints Estonia’s representatives to European Union institutions engaged in its area of government, such as the Community Plant Variety Office and the European Food Safety Authority.
Minister of Rural Affairs appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
Minister of Rural Affairs submits proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
Minister of Rural Affairs decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.